THE city government will not still lift the mandatory wearing of face masks even if the number of COVID-19 cases has not gone up.

Mayor Sara Duterte said Monday over the Davao City Disaster Radio that the city government will wait for any order from the Department of Health regarding the wearing of face masks.

“Maghulat ta ana. Ang mga public health experts lang gyud ang makasulti sa atoa niana kung kanus-a ta pwede dili na mag face mask. Ang akoa lang caution gyud ana is dili nato tanggalon ang mandatory mask wearing nato kung ibalik lang man pud gihapon nato in one or two months or after a few weeks tungod kay masuko ang mga tao. It’s better na ipadayon nalang na kung unsure sila,” the mayor said. 

This developed as the mayor is hoping that the number of COVID-19 cases, as well as the alert status of the city, will continue to be low despite the holding of some events especially during the campaign.

“Very low lang gihapon ang atong cases sa COVID-19. We do hope na it will continue to be that way,” the mayor added as the city had about 14 cases so far as of Monday with 12 of them asymptomatic.

Saying that cases will still be attended to, the mayor said her fearless forecast is that the number of cases will continue to be low.

Even then, the mayor urged the people not to be complacent as she continued to push those that have yet to get vaccinated to secure their shots.

“My assessment sa behavior sa mga tao, wala’y sense of urgency kay wala sila’y makitang mga patay,” she added, as she pointed out that only the health experts have the authority to decide on what steps to take.

Although the mayor has issued an executive order on the lifting of the protocols against COVID-19, the wearing of face masks has remained as the city government has been implementing an ordinance in relation to making it mandatory, which also carries a penalty if violated.

 


Source: Mindanao Times ( https://mindanaotimes.com.ph/2022/05/18/wearing-of-face-masks-to-continue-says-mayor-2/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wearing-of-face-masks-to-continue-says-mayor-2)